Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I Think I'm Losing It

I've been riding my bike around White Rock late on Mondays and Wednesdays in an attempt to appear like I care about my health.  Plus, I ride with this cool friend, so that helps out. She's a gringita, but raised in McAllen, so she's more Mexican than most of my Mexican friends.
Well, we ride and pedal hard, passing up the walkers, while the other riders pass us up. "On your left," that's what I constantly hear. These hard core guys and gals don their U.S. Postal Service attire or their "Once" jersey - and they fly. Wow. My friend and I go to places like What-a-burger or "Cuquita's" after our ride around the lake.

Cuquita's brings me to my next point. I think I'm losing my Spanish or at least my pochoness. And not in a good way. The waitress asks my gringita friend what she wants to drink, she says, water - I say water. I'm eating my tacos al carbon and all is well. Then, my friend, asks for some butter, and the waitress gives her a blank stare, and looks at me. Of course, I'm the resident translator. I don't mind it. I've spoken Spanish all my life, so it's not a problema. But - this time - I go blank! Holy mother of God - how do you say butter. The waitress then says, "ah, mantequilla," as I drop my head in shame.

Is it that I've been away from the Valley that long? I lived in Austin for 4 years and never did I lose the mother tongue. I think it's because I still hung out with Mexicans. Here, in Dallas, I hang out w/ 2 Jews, one Chinese dude, and the "justice league" that I work with. I don't regularly hang out with any Raza. Hmmm, that may be the problem.

1 Comments:

Blogger elizs said...

I feel so stupid when I forget my Spanish for easy words. It is happening more and more often - I have to have Spanglish conversations with my grandmother-in-law because she speaks minimal English and my conversational Spanish is such crap.

Ah well.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours. =)

1:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home