Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Webb County Soldiers Keeping Salary

Webb County has committed to continue to pay salaries to any county employees called to active duty.

Read the article.

I am very impressed. I understand this means the tax payers are footing the bill for these soldiers, but I definitely think this is a great step to aid military families. I would hope private companies would follow suit.

Who said Webb County wasn't progressive? I applaud the County Commissioners for taking this step.

2 Comments:

Blogger oso said...

I actually don't know how I feel about this one. I think reserve soldiers should continue to be paid as well, but if you take it from local revenue that means money that should be going to schools and local programs is instead being used to help fund a federal war. It also gives pro-war hawks something to point to as "support" and lets them use more of their money on bunker busting nuclear bombs instead of soldier's salaries.

It's obviously well intentioned, but it's time we start speaking up against this war - especially if it continues after the supposed January elections.

8:51 PM

 
Blogger Caron said...

Agreed. I feel conflicted. Support troops or indirectly support the war effort? I want to err in favor of the troops, but fear it can be to easily spun into an endorsement of the military actions in Iraq. Tough one.

10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home