Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Monday, August 23, 2004

Cholo Word Of The Day - Se Saco La Daga

Again, this is more of a phrase than a word. I was reminded of this phrase this weekend, because my little brother and brother-in-law were talking. They used the phrase and I thought it would be perfect.

Word:
Se Saco La Daga, Te Sacaste La Daga

Meaning According To DT:
great job, excellent work, done well

Used in a sentence:

"El Chino se saco la daga en el baseball game, when he hit a home run."

"Simon, Meme, era el hero for the day."


Translation according to DT:
"El Chino (curly hair) did awesome at the baseball game, when he hit a home run."

"Yup, Manuel, he was the hero of the day."

3 Comments:

Blogger Julio Sueco said...

I think this is more of a regionalism than a cholo word. This is a very curious construction indeed because daga in spanish means knife and in this phrase it is being used as a positive thing, very interesting.

10:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard this too, though down in Queretaro. There it was more like, "Yo soy la daga guey." Like, "I'm the shit, dude." I like it and started using it, but most people around here have no idea what I'm talking about and think that I'm confused walking around trippin like I'm a dagger.
-oso

11:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring from the Harlingen in the Rio Grande Valley we heard this phrase often. It goes beyond doing a good job. In fact, doing an almost heroic act. In spite of a dagger in him/her our "hero" takes it out and completes the task. As in: In spite of being injured in the car wreck, our hero pulled the injured child trapped in the car - "Se saco la daga."

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home