Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

They Call Me Mijo

I took notice of this a while back. My oldest sister and older brother call me mijo. My oldest sister is 9 years older than me and my older brother is 6 years older than me. The sister that 4 years older than me doesn't call me mijo. I think my oldest siblings do call her and also my younger brother mija and mijo, respectively.

I wonder if most families do this. We have always looked to my older siblings for guidance, for some reason. We still do. I just found it interesting that they use this as a term of affection.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nebur said...

Interesting.... I'm from Panama and there we use mami and papi instead of mijo/mija as terms of affection for the younger generation. Being that I grew up here, though, I call my niece (and significant other, when i have one) Mija. Which is kind of wierd when they are older than me.

1:45 AM

 
Blogger Aleksu said...

One of my best friends is my junior by 16 years, and she calls me mijo.

Somehow I think calling her mamita or mamacita is not going to fly.

;-)

8:14 AM

 
Blogger V said...

What do mijo/mija mean literally? Lots of our teachers use it but I can't figure it out. :)

5:22 PM

 
Blogger Daily Texican said...

Ari, it literally means son.

10:17 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to point out that the use of the word (mijo)it might be very ofensive in certain cases. I am a 30 years old Colombian and I was called mijo by a British younger person the first time a met him. I found it extremely unrespectfull as it was the first time we met and he was just calling me by his son. I literally avoid all contact with this person and all that younger people that have this annoying habit of call older people by mijo. I can not stand it.

4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home