Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Seattle Adventures and the CHOLA

I spent most of the past week in Seattle. I went get my things in order before I start law school. Here are some things that happened on the trip:

1. My driver's license expired 5 days before my trip and I didn't realize it until I was getting my ticket.

2. I was chosen by the ticket agents and the airport security to undergo "special security revisions"

3. The old lady sitting next to me on the plane spilled her V-8 on me.

4. I stayed at the Westin in Downtown Seattle in a fabulous room using my Starwood Points.

5. I walked chingos and visited about 20 different apartments/studios.

6. A grocery store clerk called me a terrorist American. The conversation went like this:
Clerk: are you mexican american?
Me: yes
Clerk: you look terrorist american.
Me: what? What's that.
Clerk: you know.
Me: what do Mexican American's look like?
Clerk: accents, long hair, mustache.
Me: we're not all the same. you need to visit Texas. What's a Terrorist American?
Clerk: you know (whispers), from the middle east.
Me: oh, well, ok. have a good night.

7. I went to a Mariners-Yankees baseball game.

8. I found a place to live.

9. I met two pretty damn cool professors: Stephen Burnett and Joaquin Avila.

10. I met a representative from the student group HOLA (Hispanic Organization for Legal Advacement)

11. I got the "special security revision" on the way back as well

12. I thought of the idea to to suggest a name change for HOLA. I want to call it CHOLA -- the Chicano Hispanic Organization for Legal Advancement!

14 Comments:

Blogger Aleksu said...

I think somehow you fit the non-biased-and-absolutely-random flier background check type.

6:51 AM

 
Blogger La Madre said...

I've been privilaged enough to fly a lot the last couple years and EVERY SINGLE time I've flown I've been marked to get the extra security check, WTF? At least the last few times though I didn't have my breasts squeezed, now they do the back handed press against, before they would try and juice my tetas.

8:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the great-white North were all McAllenos are suspect and quickly classified. Weren't most of the the so-called airport security officers recruited from convenience stores after 9-11? Apparently this position allows clerks to be exposed to so many different types of people of many races, that they can spot (maybe even smell) a terrorist. Do you have a picture of yourself? I want to see what a "Terrorist American" from "el campito" looks like?

You're right, HOLA sounds to gavacho friendly. It's not an in-your-face type of acronym. I would get rid of the "Hispanic" word and just use Chicano. I hate being classified so generically by the white folk.

8:40 AM

 
Blogger CJ said...

Same thing happened to me, I was selected for the special screening. They way they tell you it's like you won a prize or something, "you've been selected.." I was not happy about that since my flight was leaving in 45 minutes and the special selection line was long.

4:03 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

terrorist american? hmmm. looks like seattle will have a lot of blogging fodder for you.

7:58 PM

 
Blogger AnalisaGuzman said...

Oh my! My older cousins have been terrorist americans for decades, long before 9-11. They looked "lebanese"...this is when the War in Beirut was going on in the 80's. Does anybody remember this? Anyway, they were always searched, always, for their generic terrorist look.

8:08 PM

 
Blogger The Art of Brownsville said...

Wow.
I can't believe it. Terrorist-American...and I thought Seattle was a liberal, progressive hub of creativity and intellectualism.
Well, I am glad to know you are getting settled. Congrats once again. I have a feeling you are going to do very well in Law School. Just don't forget about the Valley okay!

8:31 PM

 
Blogger under the red sky said...

Congrats...you are on your way...good luck "1L!"

12:47 AM

 
Blogger dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

terrorist american...hmmm...that's why u got the special revision at the airport.

hope u have fun in seattle...my relative is moving to portland this summer...i'll be visiting the west coast more often

8:09 PM

 
Blogger Alma said...

Expired DL? That must only mean that someone recently celebrated a birthday! Y no me invitaste a la pinata - Feliz belated cumple!!!

11:03 AM

 
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

It sounds like you got a rough start out in Seattle. It's weird/ignorant that a grocery clerk would say you look like a terrorist. The clerk probably doesn't know his head from his ass. Anyway, congrats again on going law school. Will you be representing me in my criminal trial? Just kidding.

7:01 PM

 
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

It sounds like you got a rough start out in Seattle. It's weird/ignorant that a grocery clerk would say you look like a terrorist. The clerk probably doesn't know his head from his ass. Anyway, congrats again on going law school. Will you be representing me in my criminal trial? Just kidding.

7:01 PM

 
Blogger V said...

Terrorist American, omg.

5:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i liked how your anonumous commenter advised that 'hispanic' be dropped from the group name leaving it the more memorable name of COLA.

1:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home