Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Secretary's Day Everyday

I had an amazing conversation with my teacher friends a couple of days ago. It turns out that Secretaries and Custodians rule the school. No seriously! You're probably thinking what I thought - how the? I thought principals wielded all the power.

Well, according to the teachers, the secretaries have control over who gets a new desk, who gets dibs on the copy machine, who gets reimbursed for expenses, who shows you how to file certain paperwork, who gets away with turning attendance in late. A teacher might as well say good-bye to a nice clean room or even a door that doesn't squeak if they piss off the custodians. One of my teacher friends says the custodian who doesn't like her crashes into the room like a tornado and messes everything up.

My friends even told me that the UT Education department makes it a point to let students know they have to get along with the secretaries. The story was hillarious when my friends where telling it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Xolo said...

While I try to be kind and polite to everyone, I make sure to go the extra mile for the secretaries and custodial staff. They run the institutions where they work.

For example, I have an interview next week. I have been kind and friendly with the coordinator (some resent the S word) because she has my file in her hands. Cross her and my file could end up in some shredder by mistake.

10:17 PM

 
Blogger in the works: an art blog said...

as an elementary school teacher. i know for a fact that administrative assistants and custodians run the school. anyone who works in a school knows that to be a fact. our school makes it a point to spotlight just how much they do for us!

5:35 AM

 
Blogger Aleksu said...

Do you guys ever read the comic strip "Frazz"?

Remind me to tell you the anus joke some time.

8:32 AM

 
Blogger Daily Texican said...

nope. no frazz. tell the joke.

12:55 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

stay on their good side, they can make sure you get paid now, rather than later, when you turn the invoice in after the deadline.

7:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home