Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Cholo Word Of The Day - Tirame Esquina

Bueno, these aren't necessarily "cholo" words, or "spanglish" words, or mexican words, or chicano words. Chingado, if I told my mom parents that when they use a phrase or a word, they were using a "cholo" word, me pondrian una buena chinga. Or, if I told a cholo "Well, in fact, your use of the word Simon, dates back to the Mexican people of (fill in the blank)," I think I'd no longer be able to type out my blog w/ two hands.

So with that said here we go again. This, tambien, is a phrase very common in South Texas. Let me know if you all have heard it anywhere else. All comments are appreciated, it gives me something to write about.

This word means one thing, but when used in a phrase in a certain context, it means something different. The word "esquina" is litterally, "corner."

Word:
Esquina, Tirame Esquina, Me Tiras Esquina, Te Tiro Esquina

Meaning According To DT:
corner, get my back, i've got your back, i'm no your side, your covered

Used in a sentence:

"Elias, tirame esquina after school if I get jumped."

"Ok, Freddy, pero nomas si me tiras esquina en el Peter Piper Pizza, cause i'm low on cash."


Translation according to DT:
"Elias, get my back after school if I get jumped."

"OK, Alfred, but only if you cover me at Peter Piper Pizza, because I'm low on cash."

this is an audio post - click to play

7 Comments:

Blogger elizs said...

Carlos - you should try the audio posting feature again. I made two posts last night and they came out just fine. =)

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Julio Sueco said...

On the first example it makes all the sense to my cholo ears, that is, tirame esquina sounds as a watch out or look out kinda request; the answer to the request in the first dialogue baffles me, that's new although not unconcievable as the semantic parameters are there ...

1:29 PM

 
Blogger CJ said...

Ok ese, you got me on this one. I've never heard it. But I did catch that Peter Piper reference! Man I haven't heard about them in years!

3:47 PM

 
Blogger Daily Texican said...

Julio: Sepa, about the semantics. When we were at a bar my friend would always say "tirame esquina" when we were going to get drinks. I don't think most of us who use these words necessarily follow all the rules.

5:53 AM

 
Blogger Daily Texican said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

k ondaz ese, i use da phrase maself, and u usin it riite cuz, it means "dame una mano' 'give me a hand' ;p

5:18 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Been saying that since the 80s means I got your back

5:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home