Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Art of Good Conversation

I've come to the conclusion that a good conversation is art. Tonight I sat down and had a great conversation with two very interesting people. I went to visit my friend/mentor (i know i've blogged about him before, but I'm too tired to find the link now) to talk about a project he's working on. I showed up to his office and we talked for a bit before the phone rang. This dude is full of anectodes and basically just interesting conversation, but you have to play close attention, because he speaks very fast and can change subjects at a moments notice.

Somehow, I managed to hang around long enough that he and his wife invited me to stay for dinner. I guess they probably figured I wasn't leaving until an invite was extended.

We had dinner and chatted. Actually, my friend's 5th grade son chatted a lot. I think he's learning the tricks of the trade.

After dinner we went sat outside in the backyard and that's really why I'm writing this post. It was non-stop questions and answers from both sides.
What do you think about this? How does this work? Have you read this?
Boom, Boom, Boom - non-stop. He's only about 12 (plus or minus 1) years older than me and it seems like he's on top of everything. You know when you can tell someone is well read.

The reason I believe it's an art is because I have problems communicating with a great deal of people. It can either be that they don't get (or care for)my sense of humour or just really that I get bored quick. I'm sure we've all had those conversations where we can't just wait until they're over.

The other day I was talking to my lady-friend (finish the sentence please) in Connecticut and asking her about a dude she's dating. She says, "I can't talk to him." Apparently this dude doesn't talk. So, the next time she saw him, she decided not to talk either. It was hillarious. She told me they just sat there and stared at each other -- quickly eating their food. Yup, I've been there.

So what is it? Is it that you have to be well-read to have good conversation? No - I can't say it is. Is it that you have to be funny - No, can't agree there. I think it just might be that you have to be willing not to be afraid to be yourself and express what you're feeling. There are people who talk a lot, but I can't say I enjoy their conversation.

My friend's wife joined us a little bit later and she started talking. I asked more in detail about how they met, and I finally got the full story. I thought I already knew it. Then we talked about the war and the neighbor, WWII and the border patrol.

5 Comments:

Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

"There are people who talk a lot, but I can't say I enjoy their conversation."

Ain't that the truth. I know sooo many people like this. And what about those people with those loud, annoying as heck voices.

5:54 AM

 
Blogger Aleksu said...

Well, I think it is a combination of all what you mentioned.

You have to read or watch tv in order to be up to date with what's going on, plus, you have to add some flavor to the conversation, some flourishes, and yes, some humor. And yes, you have to certainly be willing to express yourself.

I hate those people that are always trying to outdo other people during a conversation.

8:28 AM

 
Blogger Georgina Baeza said...

Gar! No kidding Blex. I have a bunch of Latin American friends and they're always comparing their country to the U.S. so it always becomes turns into a conversation about whose country is better.

12:01 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I read this somewhere. A good technique--that has worked for me--is to ask a lot of questions. (without prying) Most folks enjoy talking about themselves, hence the popularity of blogs. They will think you are a great conversationalist when they did all the talking, although it helps to have a genuine interest in them.

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

no tengo nada que decir;)

7:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home