Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Machuca This!

I saw an amazing movie tonight at the Cine de Las Americas Film Festival premiere.

Machuca follows the friendship between Gonzalo Infante and Pedro Machuca, two eleven-year-old boys living in the capital city of Santiago, Chile, in 1973. Gonzalo comes from a well-to-do family, and Pedro comes from an illegal shantytown recently settled not far from Gonzalo’s neighborhood. Their worlds are separated by boundaries that some, in an age full of revolutionary hopes, want to break down.


My friends from Maneja Beto hooked me up with the pass.

Although not as severe, the story reminds me somewhat of my childhood. I think of my friend Kevin who always had the coolest G.I. Joe's. He gave me some, but I always knew we were different.

It also reminds me of some of my current friends. I by no means am hurting financially, but I'm not doing as well as some of my other friends. They don't make me feel any different, but it's evident that there is a difference.

The movie makes me think of human relationships and how people from different places and environments can come together, develop bonds, but there's still something there. What that is, I don't know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aleksu said...

I read some reviews on "Machuca" but I haven't had the chance to see it.

Childhood is really magic, during those years what really matters is the person. Money, skin color, cultural background, non of that makes a difference when two or more young souls decide to share the road for a while.

Then we grow up and our parents' bagagge starts bogging us down.

6:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home