Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Monday, April 25, 2005

Cholo Word Of The Day - Alivianate

I heard my sister of all people say this word the other day. I'm not exactly sure why she said it, but I think she told my mom.

Word:
Alivianate

Meaning According To DT:
calm down, relax, take it easy, don't worry

Used in a sentence:
"Goyo, alivianate ya! El Lore como queira va a brincar a el Secundino."

"Yo se, pero se debe de alivianar con todo ese pedo. Al cabo que su sister ni lo pela."

Translation according to DT:
"Gregory, please relax yourself. Mr. Lawrence is still going to quarrel with the dry one."

"I know, but he should relax with all of that nonsense. It's of no consequence because his sister pays him no mind anyway."

4 Comments:

Blogger Aleksu said...

Texican, in Acapulco, when you say "Se alivianó" it means that person got to pay for dinner, the movies, whatever.

Usually the one that invites a friend or some friends out is the one that "se aliviana", the one that foots the bill.

8:30 PM

 
Blogger La Madre said...

"...pays him no mind anyway."

Is this a South Texan saying? I would never say that. Prehaps I would say "either way he doesn't pay her any attention"

12:17 PM

 
Blogger beeto45 said...

alivianate has meant "move it" all my life. ex:
alivianate huevon! = move it you lazy slob!

12:05 PM

 
Blogger Juan Jose said...

alivianate, move it
alivianate, lighten up
alivianate, get'er done
alivianate, get up
......man, alivianate is like orale, it has so many connotations. You just have to pay attenttion to the tone and the voice pitch to understand what the person is actually saying.

8:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home