Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Culture Shock

My friend from the Valley and I were having a chat about my impending move to Seattle. I remarked to her how I would be one of only a handful of brown folk at the school. I told her it didn't bother me and that in fact, I thrive in those environments. She asked me if I was going to experience culture shock. I told her I experienced culture shock when I went to UT.She told me she experienced culture shock when she went to A&M. She's white and experienced culture shock when she saw so many other white people. Imagine that.

My friend grew up in the Rio Grande Valley. She's originally from Ohio, but her dad moved the family down there and started a very successful produce company. It's interesting that she says she experienced culture shock.

White people often talk about experiencing culture shock in the Valley. We could say, "It's not the same. Socio-economic class has a lot to do with it." And in some respect it does, but it doesn't mean that a gringita growing up in the Valley doesn't feel weird when she goes to a piƱata. I guess we might be able to ask Oso about this, as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aleksu said...

Remain drunk at least the first couple of weeks, it helps you deal with the culture shock.

I lived in "white" America for 5 years straight. It. Was. Weird.

9:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being "white" does not mean you cannot be bicultural. I grew up a "white mexican" and was culture shocked outside of el valle. Texan Border culture often transcends skin color and so called "race" and ethnicity. I have always been between cultures and have often been treated as "less than" by bigots white and brown.

12:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home