Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Don't Touch My Kid!

I've got a question. Growing up in S. Texas and visiting the familia in Mexico it's very common (at least from my experiences) that people touch kids. Not in the Michael Jackson way, but you pat them on the head, touch their arms or feet if their infants, or even pick them up and carry them once in a while. Well, for the past 10 years, since I left the Valley, people have always told me that was weird - and of course, I've received more than one ugly stare by a parent (never from a Mexicano, that I recall). My friends always tell me not to do that or say, "did you just hit that kid of the head," or "did you just touch that kid." I reply, "yep." I don't touch the kids behind I believe I'm going to give them ojo, but maybe that's why most people I've seen do it, and maybe that's why I think it's ok. Sepa.

Have you experienced this? Is this weird? I can't say I blame parents for not wanting a complete stranger to touch their kid, but this was never an issue back home. Is it a difference in the culture or is it simply that in today's day and age, strangers are bigger freaks? What's the deal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all as a fellow South Texas boy from deep en el monte I have to applaud you and you cohorts on you blogs. It's wonderful to read complete stranger’s narratives but relate to them in a way that makes me feel connected to friends.

In regards to your post I know the feeling. Growing up in the small town of Hebbronville you realize that Hilary Clinton's cliché it takes a village is very true. Like many of you from south Texas we probably have the same experiences of getting a hum and kiss from mom and dad everyday. Hell even mom's comadres and dad's compadres, not to mention our numerous tio's, tia's, primos y primas.

To this day when I go home and go to the local bank I feel like royalty because all of the female tellers and clerks make it a point to come and say hello and give the requisite hug and kiss on the cheek with their mouth turned the other way so they don't get lipstick on your cheek: "Ay mijo you need to come home more your parents miss you. Ayy tan lindo!"

I love South Texas!

Now imagine my shock on the big city college campus of 50K students and respecting everyone’s space. Talk about a culture shock.

As for kids I can empathize about how our non south Texas friends are abrazo and malo ojo illiterate.

It's our job to educate them.

9:40 PM

 
Blogger La Madre said...

completly cultural. A mom gave me an evil look today when her young son reached out to me. I also noticed that a give babes pats on the but, not a spanking but an "up you go" kind of pat. I found that I tend to do this now, only with Mexican children. Anglo-American people really don't like it.

8:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home