Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Monday, October 25, 2004

Cholo Word Of The Day - Entiendes Mendez

Entiendes Mendez is not one word, but a phrase. You'll often hear this in movies or at my former h.s. I'm sure I'll use it a couple of times this weekend when I'm down in McAllen for my 10 year h.s. reunion.

Mendez is simply a last name that rhymes with entiendes. It really has no meaning.

Word:
Entiendes Mendez

Meaning According To DT:
do you understand Mendez, your comprendey, is this clear

Used in a sentence:
"Si me entiendes mendez cuando te digo porque you can't wear your wife beater to church."

"Bueno, Tuti, I'll put on a t-shirt over it. Ya dejame en paz."

Translation according to DT:
"Do you understand Mendez why I tell you that it's not proper to wear a white tank top to church."

"Ok, Tuti, I'll cover myself properly with a t-shirt. Please let me be."

2 Comments:

Blogger Alma said...

Another variation is Comprendes Mendes. Also the title of a popular tune by Control Machete circa 1997 from the Mucho Barato CD.

2:05 PM

 
Blogger nesta75 said...

the complete phrase is 'Me entiendes Méndez o te explico Federico' / 'is this clear, or do you want me to explain it?'. its often used in a cool but intimidating way to make things clear and usually using only the first part should be enough

9:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home