Ojo: The "Cholo Word Of The Day" is simply for fun. This is not an academic exercise, therefore I do not spend much time checking for espelling or grammatical errors. Most of the words are not only used by "cholos," but by many people in S. Texas - and their usage can vary. c/s

Thursday, January 27, 2005

La Iglesia Response

I received some comments and emails about my Poor South post. Perfecto, those are some of the reasons why I blog. La carnalita from Loteria Chicana asks "what would the church have to do with people not being financially responsible?" My comment was more about the Cathollic Church sometimes encouraging complacency. Here is my response:

I am a Catholic. I don't call myself a non-practicing or practicing Catholic. I don't call myself a good or bad Catholic. I just am a Catholic. I don't agree with about 1/2 of the things that Catholic church believes in, but I'm still a Catholic.

My comment about the Catholic church teaching complacency stems from the fact that in the Catholic church we're taught to obey, kneel, (sometimes) fear, and bow. We're taught not to question the priests. We're sometimes taught to be docile and subservient. Often, I think this is the reason Mexicanos have been so quick to accept patrones and opression. I may be wrong about believing all of these things but these observations come from being a Catholic for 27 years.

Now, I think the Catholic has also be great from Mexican people. We should simply look towards Revolutionaries like Father Miguel Hidalgo and other well knows spiritual leaders. They encouraged peasants to rise up and fight for equality (although it has not been achieved). The church has often been kind to its congregations. We must not forget that believing in God, the Virgen, and the Saints has kept many of us strong in times of trial.

I guess, that's all I was trying to say with that one comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home